View Single Post
Old 09-29-2003, 05:32 PM

Help guys, suspension trouble

In my 300SDL,

I encountered a friendly forest creature in the middle of the road, scrambling across it, just a few minutes from my house. I locked up the brakes and tried to swerve around it. I heard a clunk, like the type of clunk you get when vaccuum pressure is too low in a transmission. The car started pulling WAY off to the left, and the steering wheel followed. When I tried to center the steering wheel, it would still pull dangerously sharp to the left.

I got out of the car and inspected the driver's side wheel (as that's where the clunk came from). Didn't notice much, until I went to the front of the car and compared the two front wheels. The bottom of the wheel on the driver's side was bent outward about 15 - 20 degrees, and the one on the passenger side was perfectly straight.

I will drive the SE for now.

I have this posted in the Tech help forum, but I am not getting enough responses fast enough. So I look to you dieselers for a second opinion. I think the trailing arm snapped, is it possible you guys could post a picture of this part so I could know for sure?

1986 Porsche 951 (944 Turbo) (166000)

1978 Porsche 924 (99000)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder R50 (201000)