View Single Post
Old 10-02-2003, 03:23 AM

Question 1-Your actual loss will be the value (blue book ) of car plus sales tax plus transfer fee and salvage certiticate.All 3 added up

2.If you are paying out of your pocket for a rental car or use of another,you are to be credited back.

3.If she is carrying only 5k for property,guess what you wiped that clean.You will have the option of using your (if applicable) under insured/uninsured part of your policy or prior to her conviction of the accident,place a claim for the difference (I will say about 1300-1500) in her court proceeding.It might mean payments for awhile or what.No pay then we have a contempt of court and a stay of her license.

Its not your fault the she was underinsured.While I do not know all the facts of the case,9 times out of 10 people do try to make good and learn a very valuable lesson about insurance and FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY

What I have learned and I hope it helps anyone listening:

Insurance is not a credit card.It is financial risk management based on factors not known by many.

Keep your deductables high and your liabilty the same.

The difference between a 250 to a 1000 deductable can be amazing.It shows you will not file a claim unless its real loss.

On the other end the difference between a 15/30 to a 300/300 is sometimes not even 1 and a half times more.While some people will actually think it should costs 20 times more,because they actually think of getting into accidents and how many times-YIKE