View Single Post
Old 11-05-2003, 07:07 PM

Your results may vary...

Actually, my experience to date has been that there are specific things to be expected at certain points, and a few known weaknesses to be addressed either preventively or when they happen. In my case, I didn't know enough to ask the right questions when I bought mine, and therefore have done the timing chain/guides/tensioner, steering box and the radiator, in addition to a major maintenance and replacing shocks which I more or less expected. I added a few thousand in bills onto the purchase price, but it's still appraised at more than I've spent, and it's fundamentally been fairly well taken care of in the past. Now it's pretty much up to snuff, except for brakes (eventually needed for any car) due next Spring, and a new top (eventually due for any convertible).

Having said that, it's never left me immobile anywhere, and it's been my daily driver from May until now. It fires up immediately, runs faultlessly, and entertains me constantly. I love driving it and expect to hang onto it for a decade or two. I'm about to put it away and drive my away-at-college daughter's Jetta for the winter, and I'm already eager for next spring.

If I wanted an appliance for transportation purposes, I certainly wouldn't have the Benz, and the model does have its little quirks--but I actually enjoy them, and I couldn't buy anything half as much fun for what I've got in this!

'97 SL500, 40th anniversary edition

'04 Olds Bravada (SWMBO's)
'06 Lexus ES330
'89 560SL (sold)

SL--Anything else is just a Mercedes.
(Kudos to whoever said it first)