View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Stella!

Quote:
Originally posted by w126
Check the vacuum modulator. When it fails, trans fluid get burned up in the combustion process= hence white smoke.

Nope, not possible.

Maybe on a gasser but a MBZ diesel doesn't use manifold vacuum to operate the shift modulator. Consequently, there's virtually no way for transmission fluid to get to the combustion process

If the modulator failed, I suppose ATF could make it to the intake tract via the ALDA/overboost tubing on a turobcharged engine but then only if the turbo had crapped out and you were coasting down really long grades. I would also imagine that you would have other systems failing from ATF-plugged vacuum lines too. ie door locks, engine cut-off etc.

Actually, I think these cars smoke a lot more than we realize. It simply isn't all that apparent in the mirrors until you back up or drive behind a diesel and can actually see the smoke being generated.

Neither of my diesels are what you would consider smokers yet, I'm always surprised by the amount of smoke/haze generated behind SWMBO's 300D whenever I drive behind it or see it accelerate away from the house.