View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lynn tassin
Didnt mean to irritate you. Its just my opinion. If I were to keep the car Im sure that I would have a steady stream of bills ( Hopefully small) not because its an MB but because it is OLD. Just like healthcare for an older person will always be more than a younger one. PLease leave my poor infiniti alone. Green is not a good color on you.
No no no, I'm not irritated at all. I'm a former high school and Jr. College teacher, and just trying to educate. ;-)

I make the same point to everyone. I'm not just picking on you.

I actually like the FX45. I think it's a great car, and should be very, very reliable. I'm not trying to persuade you to keep the 380SL (although it would make a great second car).

I agree with you wholeheartedly 100% that the FX45 will be more reliable than your 380SL, or any 20+ year old car, for that matter.

I'm just trying to rid you (and everybody else I talk to) of the view that since used cars require higher expenxes for maintenance and repairs, that they are money pits.

I just wanted to illustrate how the depreciation of used cars is such an enormous expense, and how this expense is always larger than the expense for maintenance and repairs.

So please, feel free to use the reliability reason for buying the FX45 (or any other new or newer car). It's a good reason, but not a financially wise one. New cars depreciate extremely fast, and never really make good financial sense.

Just don't call the old car a "money pit", when the new one will always cost you significantly more in depreciation.

2001 E430, Bourdeaux Red, Oyster interior.
79,200 miles.

1973 280SE 4.5, 170,000 miles. 568 Signal Red, Black MB Tex. "The Red Baron".