View Single Post
Old 12-06-2003, 09:51 AM

2000 ML320 Drivers Side Front Wheel Bearing?

I am hearing a grinding type bearing noise that appears to be coming from the drivers side front wheel bearing on my 2000 ML320. The noise is constant going down the highway and gets louder if I am turning right. The noise also quiets down when I let off on the accelerator and coast as when you take the load off the problem component. Also, when turning to the right there is somewhat of a shudder that you feel through the steering wheel. I think it is the drivers side wheel bearing and am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem since most of the problems on the ML always end up being "common occurences." When I sit in the drivers seat the noise is louder than when I sit in the passenger seat so it appears to be coming from the drivers side. The only other thing that I can think of that would be causing this noise would be the transfer case ( I sure hope not since the vehicle is now out-of-warranty).

I hate to think of going back to the dealer again since I have already been there 3 times in the last month. I am getting to know these people on a first name basis! In my opinion, the quality of the Mercedes product is going down the sewer and this will probably be my last one. Sooner or later I am going to have to bite the bullet and dump this thing and take my losses. I do not generally like American vehicles, but even these are less problematic during the first 60,000 miles than my ML320 has been with now only 39,500 miles.

To summarize, the design is Mercedes but the quality of the components is cheap - cheap - cheap. Mercedes will not survive if it keeps turning out products like this.