View Single Post
Old 12-19-2003, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheVirginiaDude
The SUV is not a new one, it just gained recent popularity. Willys Overland made the first sport utility veicle around 1948 with a 4 wheel drive station wagon through the early 60's. AMC made the Eagles around 1980ish.
Yeah, and they weren't sold all that widely, weren't heavily advertised and people who owned them used them for truly off-road work (like on a farm) rather than the majority of off-roading I see SUVs doing these days: pulling to the shoulder to check the map.

Quote:
You make it sound like people are stupid and brain washed.
Really? They're not? :p (Joke! Just a joke!)

Quote:
I think people know what they want and the liberals set on brainwashing the public to get what they think the public should get.
I worked for a PR firm. A big one. No liberals in the crowd except for me and my boss. Two former speech writers for Nixon, for example. They GLOATED over successful campaigns for the French Nuclear Power industry, for Marlboro Cigarrettes, for lobbying to prevent nascent recycling laws in some municipality....the list goes on and on. Several people told me how great it was to invest in advertising agencies ("Otherwise, how would people know what to buy? Or worse, they wouldn't buy anything. We have to create desire, otherwise America would die." ---Yes, that was a direct quotation.--) and tobacco companies ("No loss of profits there, once someone smokes, they'll always be buying it.")

Quote:
Most people buy SUV's because they want them, No amount of advertising will convince them to buy something they don't want.
Hmmm. See above.

Quote:
Tiny fuel efficient death traps are an example that comes to mind. Left wingers try to convince everyone they should be driving thaem but nobody wants to drive them, not even the liberals. If that was true whatever percent of the public were liberal would be buying econoboxes and that clearly is not happening.
Right now, there are few "econoboxes" for sale. In fact, even the so-called economy cars out there aren't as good as the ones from 20 years ago. I knew someone who drove a 1983 (?) Honda for years because it got 40 mpg and she couldn't find another w/ mileage as good. (She died before finding another one, at the age of 76, four years ago.)

As I recall, it was The Bug, a cheap and friendly car for the times, that made VWs reputation in this country.

And, OT but it might be useful, you might want to check out a more complex definition of liberal than the one I suspect you're using. Go on, take the test: www.politicalcompass.org There was a thread about this on the Open Discussion a while back. Cool site.

1984 300SD: Hilda the veggie vundercar