View Single Post
Old 12-23-2003, 06:24 PM

Question Ambient Temp Sensor (external thermometer) HELP!

okay guys, here are a few questions:

1) The outside thermometer (also called ambient temp sensor per FastLane) ...you know... the one behind the front license plate...I think it may be reading wrong. As I have searched the archives and read something about testing the resistance of it. That’s all well and good, but where the heck does the other end connect? The picture on FastLane shows the cable to be like 20 feet long.. I believe too because I have just spent the last 40 min trying to trace it and got no where.

2) Once I find the other end, what should the resistance read at what temp? Obviously as the temp changes so does the resistance. Basically how will know the thermometer is bad?

3) If I deem it necessary to replace it...what’s the best way to do it? Trace it all the way and pull it out only to rethread the new one? OR do I just chop it off a few inches back from the sensor itself, replace it, and reconnect the newone with something I make myself (spade, Molex, or something similar)?

4) If I resort to chopping the tip off, does it make sense to buy the whole thing for approx $50 (as quoted from FastLane) if I am only going to use the new tip and then have 20 feet of cable sitting in my garage?

5) ANY other solutions? Maybe an aftermarket sensor that’s also compatible?

Phhhhhhew. I guess that’s it. The car BTW is a ’94 E420….white of course.