Thread: new mb's
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2000, 06:41 PM

MB

My two cents worth. I love MB for their character and superb ride. As far as it being cheaper to repair than Hondas and Toyotas, I have to disagree. You are comparing different cars here, built and sold to different end-users. You pay upfront for a MB while Toyotas and Hondas hit you later on. I have found that normal servicing parts may be cheaper in a Merc but other parts are still sky high. I had a 190E 2.6, which had done 45000km, and had the following done...engine mounts (heard of one being replaced in a Toyota or Honda?), front tie rods, steering damper, front shock absorbers, tail shaft damper and finally front ABS sensors. The interior trim has started peeling away from the top of the doors. The car overheats in summer and pings unless I use the high octane fuel.

To be fair to Lexus, which we should be comparing Mercs to, I have yet to see one tattered and torn. I read one of the thread that the interior trim materials could be better in a Lexus, are there any evidence that the trim had failed? Split leather trims?, well, I've seen them in a Benz. Leather is like a living material and must be fed for it to maintain suppleness, therefore it doesn't matter what car it is in.

As a car nut, I enjoy all cars regardless of make and model. Anyone telling you that you won't lose money on a Porsche, Merc or Lexus is a liar. All car LOSE money, although not as quickly as the stock market currently!

Despite all the problems I've had with my Merc, I still have a soft spot for it and will quite happily buy another if only my wife would allow me to turn the front yard into another double garage. How can two cars be enough?

G'day to you all!