Thread: Radio removal
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2004, 07:58 PM

I'm not sure -- I have the opposite problem, I want to put the original back in and dump the cheapo Kenwood mine has.

I believe you must pull the radio knobs, then unscrew the flat nut on the shafts to release the face plate. Behind the faceplate are two clamps with phillips head screws that hold the radio to the dash. Unscrew and turn sideways to release them and the radio should pull right out. May be a nut holding the rear down -- pull the ashtray out, then remove one phillips screw and the lock ring around the glovebox light switch (with glovebox open), then the two phillips screws on the other side and remove the ashtray casing. Be carefull not to break the plastic light pipe from the heater levers. You may also have to pull the glove box out (two phillips screw hold the latch at the top, then pull the plastic clips and pull the box out).

Heater valves are right there behind the ashtray, too.

There is an antenna wire and a plug-in cable connection for the radio -- the power is suppled by the amplifier behind the console cover, so if you are looking for a switched hot lead, you will have to look somewhere else or hack the cable.

Peter
1985 Volvo 740 GLE Turobodiesel 218,000
1972 280 SE 4.5 165, 000 - It runs!