View Single Post
Old 01-13-2004, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kestas
Bluerio, even though you mentioned the upper timing cover gasket was replaced, it sounds like it's leaking from there. Is there any reason to believe it's NOT coming from there? Sealing the upper timing cover is tricky. It's easy to do screw up and do a bad job. Oil stop leak products are not the way to go.
Kestas,
I was just quoting what it will cost (more or less) to do some of these gaskets jobs, but no, I have not done any of them in my car. When I first bought the car I took it to the MB dealership in town to have all the fluids changed and to have it inspected for things that needed to be change/fix and they gave me this list:

1. Rear Brake Pads $31.00 labor $105.00

2. Belt Tensioner $249.60
3. Tensioner shock $52.00
4. Serpentine Belt $40.00 labor $570.00

5. Transmission Cooler Hoses L&R
(R) $49.00
(L) $42.00 Labor $165.00

6. Trans Flex Disc $106.8 labor $260

7. Diff Side Seals
w/oASR x2 $14.0 ea
w/oASR x2 $21.0 ea labor $500.0

8. Drier and Line Mounting not correct
Line hose $62.00
Drier $145.00 labor $520.0

Parts $846.00 labor $2,015.0 Grand Total parts& labor $2,861.00

They never mention any leaks in the engine due to the head gasket or any other gasket so I was assuming that everything else was ok.

I since decided that I would try to do as many of these things myself, and during the Christmas holidays I went ahead and did the belt tensioner, shock, belt, L &R transmission cooling hoses, thermostat, flush the coolant, and added new MB coolant. I bought all my parts from FastLane, which I highly recommend, Phil has been more than helpful he has going out of his way in trying to help me. So I was kind of disappointed when I discover this new leak coming from the front of the engine, and how much of a pain they can be. And as you know we MB owners tend to be perfectionist when it comes to our cars and no matter how much we ignore a problem it will always remain in the back of our heads until we get it fix. Like I said I have not been able to exactly pinpoint the source of this leak but I hope it is the Timing Cover Front Gasket and not he Head Gasket. Either way I would not tackle such a job as changing either of those two gaskets I believe that is something I will just have to bite my lip and take it to the dealer so it can be done right.

My question about the oil additives was to make sure I understood why it is best not to use them in a relative good engine, and the problems associated with the use of these additives.

Thanks for your responses.