View Single Post
Old 01-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Super Turbo Diesel Rulz!

It's interesting to read all of your posts regarding the winter weather woes. In Canada for basically 95% of us winter is cold, period. For the other 5% that live in Vancouver and southern Vanouver Island on the West coast their sense of reality to seasons is somewhat skewed, but that's a different topic.

I live in the eastern shadow of the Rockies just West of Calgary, Alberta. Our winters of late have been somewhat mild, but as a Canadian one expects to have at least 6 to 8 weeks of our normally five months worth of winter tempuratures to be like it is today:
Current Temperature: -30°C ( -30 degree Celsius = -22 degree Fahrenheit)
Barometer: 103.1 kPa

Wind Speed: 7 km/h NE Humidity: 0%

I live about a 12min walk from my house to my office, and to start my car and drive it here would be futile. The thing wouldn't even melt the ice on the windshield before I get here.

I bundle up so alls you can see are my eyes, I arrive with a layer of frost all over the front of my touque and scarf.

No, it's not enjoyable, nor do I look forward to doing it every day. But, I'm free to do it if I want to, or not. I can relocate or stay, it's my choice. I love winter more than any other season because of the extremes of nature, and the beauty of the Rocky mountains, the snow covered landscapes, and the frost encrusted trees. Yes, spring is also a very visually beautiful season as well, but IMO winter is the most striking. Winter is for play only I think, 'cause to work or commute in it, is truly apt to drive one crazy with frustration.

Each and every day of your life is a gift, appreciate it nomatter where you are and what the weather is doing to you.

Thirsting/starving to death in the desert is probably no different or worse than freezing to death with a full belly and a fat wallet.

My $.02

"The thinking required to solve a problem cannot be the same thinking used to create it!"-Einstien