View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 01:08 PM

Switching over

Regarding switching to standard suspension...

For a SEL you can get all the required parts from a 420SEL with standard suspension, be sure to get the blockoff plate for the pump as well. There are several threads here, one called "adios self leveling suspension", I considered this before I repaired my system.

As far as ride... A 560SEL is a large car and weigh close to 4k, it was never designed to handle like a sports car and even with the addition of standard suspension it will be found wanting in the performance handeling department. I suppose if you lowered the car (lowering the CG will decrease roll), mounted low profile tires (less side wall = less flex), and beefed up the sway bars, you might be able to get the corning of an overweight hockey puck you desire, however, changing the front sway bar (heavy engine up front) would require a massive amount of work. I would suggest that if it is handeling you desire, you simply but a smaller 2 door car rather than a Luxury 4 door the size of a small battleship.

As far as the ease of converting a BMW compared to a Merc...Apples and oranges.

As I ask all my clients; What do you want to do with your car? If you want a performancee car look for a small 2 door with a low center of gravity, 50/50 weight distribution, 4 wheel disc brakes, few power accessories, good power to weight ratio, manual transmission, etc. If you want to carry a load, a pick-up of a station wagon depending on the size of load. If you want to carry people...How many? If you must carry 9 then buy a minivan (and don't come here for repairs), if you need to carry 3 kids+, buy a Mercedes wagon with the 3rd seat. If you NEED 4x4 then buy one, if you just "like the way they look" think about maintaining 2 sets of drive train and payng for the fuel for 2 cars.

I guess what I am sayine is this. Vehicles are tools, designed for a specific purpose (this the exception of the PT Cruiser) and trying to make a luxury sedan handle like a Porsche 914 (one of the best handeling track cars ever made), or trying to make a 914 handle like a 560 is a kind of foolish endevour. If you don't like the SLS, buy the bits from a 420SEL and be done with it, but if you imagine that you can make a 4000 pound car, 17 feet long with a 112in wheel base handle like a pocket rocket......
1981 BMW R80GS-PD, dual plugs, 1000cc jugs, 10 gal "Gaston" tank.
1982 BMW R80GS-PD, duplicate of above.
1988 Neoplan/Mercedes 40' Bus
2002 SLK32 AMG
2013 Smart Electric