View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by suginami
When you say your father has known this mechanic since the 60's, do you mean that he just knows the guy as an acquaintance, or do you mean that this mechanic has been working on your cars since the 1960's?

If your father has been a customer of this guy for 40 years, you'd think he do that for you as a favor, or at minumum, a small charge.
If the relationship has been as this one for 40 years, then he might just have placed the cost as such to remedy the relationship.

If I were faced with the concept of the original question "Did I get ripped off by my mechanic" I'd rather not do the job. I don't bother with logical explanations such as Joe's, anyone asking such a question won't understand anyway. As I have stated before it costs at least an hours worth of labor for a shop to process a repair order without doing any labor. Tell the shop owner you will buy the ball joints from him and bring him 8 a day and see if you can get a better rate, otherwise let your fingers do the walking as real techs won't interupt their day for such a pittance. When they do it it is out of kindness.
Bosch Master, ASE Master, L1
33 years MB technician