View Single Post
Old 02-28-2004, 08:27 PM

Dan,

its a great car. Dont let these things scare you. Speaking from experience, I will add my .02. What I would look out for would definetely be the wiring harness. Pull the air cleaner off and check out the wires or have a mechanic do it. You can get the harness from the dealer for around $420, thats what my dealer quoted me. You might be able to find one cheaper, depends on how bad the dealer wants to rip you off. If you have any mechanical inclination, you can do it yourself in under an hour. Just take your time and follow the leads of the old one.

The radio I think alot of people will disagree with what I have to say. I have kept my factory radio. Not only does it look good and is original, but I think it performs perfectly for what I need it to do. I had a replacement faceplate from becker installed, due to bad buttons/lights, etc. They only charge $80. A good deal. Its somewhat difficult to add an aftermarket system to the 400E's. They come standard with the high-perfomance (by mercedes standards at the time) with 10 speakers. It consists of 6 speakers in the rear deck, 2 on the dash, and 2 in the front doors. To add an aftermarket, you have to run alot of new wiring to the head unit from the trunk, for example, an antenna cable. You also have to either bypass the 2 factory amps (1 per side) or wire it special to use them. When the system is all working properly I feel it sounds good. It has good depth. At high volumes, with bass and treble on full, it tends to clip.

The window closure feature I wouldnt tend to worry about. It could be linked to the door handle. Try it on the pass door and/or trunk. You will probably find you will hardly use this feature.

DEFINETELY pay a MB dealer to give it a once over before you buy.

Good luck