View Single Post
Old 07-12-2000, 12:33 AM
Veteran

If you're looking for affirmation, you've got it; you appear to have bought the right car for the right reasons. BMW 328's, when new and fresh and still with their OE compression are strong cars (Double VANOS on the newest 328); and on the highway he's not likely gonna screw up a shift. And quite simply your power/weight ratio's not a lot better, nor your coefficient of drag (yours is worse, actually) so you're not gonna just blast away unless it's at a lower speed AND he blows a shift AND you're in the sweet spot of your motor (AND it's a cool night).

I think the real issue is who you want to please: you or the Bimwad. If it's the Bimwad, then get a Dinan 5 series with quad turbos. Strap a Nitrous tank onto an external luggage rack, pop on 20" wheels, Porsche brakes and you're done.

But if you're the well-considered guy I think you are (you DO drive an E430 after all, eh?), do some wheels and a nice stereo. And wait for these MercedesShop lunatics to hook up with Kleeman and put a blower on it. Hehehe.

Then you get to watch 328s fade properly.

But seriously, even though I know 500Es are quick cars, and my 500E seems to at least be an average one (best so far at the drags was 13.8 secs.@ 102.1 on a cold day, no mods to car x/c 17" rubber), honestly I'm less than satisfied with how I pull away from cars. Much has to do with the fact that you're looking thru a mirror; IMHO it distorts your depth perception considerably and lessens the accelerative effect. Also, when you ARE pulling away you're doing so in a Benz, which is a smooth-running ride. Hence your ability to puff said Churchill. And that very smoothness makes 'em feel slow. My '82 5.0 Mustang felt quicker to both my wife and I, but really...I'd embarrass that car at any speed it could attain.

So, be careful in the battles you choose, and watch out for Benzmac in that nutso pickup!!!

------------------
Best regards, Michael
'92 500E
'88 300TE