View Single Post
Old 03-08-2004, 07:18 PM

Whatever you do, try not to jump too fast. There are good deals on 300SDL's that come around every so often. I had been looking for one for the better part of a year. After several false starts, finally got one in South Florida with only 65k on the OD. While I have not yet picked it up, word from a friend in the area said "you found a real gem". I'll post my experience on this one later this month (good or bad). Look a bit more and you will probably find something similar.

If you cannot wait, my vote is for the red one - but offer less than 8k. They have sat on this one for awhile. Spend a lot of time talking about service records . . . etc.; that is, take up a fair bit of their time. Be very inquisitive about any gaps in the records they have. Seem very disappointed in such gaps. Rick indicates, insist on an inspection. Then offer 7k as a starting point. They will not likely take it. Wait a day, then, in person, offer a bit more. Ultimately offer 8k "out the door" (taxes and all). If you do not come across as a complete green-horn they will take it - be stern. If they do not bite . . . wait. Worst case they pass; and you will ultimately find a better deal.

Good luck,

Dale Mitchell