View Single Post
Old 03-13-2004, 01:26 PM

IP, chain stretch or what else could it be?

As many of you may have been aware of the trouble that I recently had with my '85 300D turbo, I am wondering what could be the root of the problem. Just a refresher, The car had some injector issues earlier, it was running a little rough and would not really idle on its own when cold and some of the injectors were making sounds like clattering valves. So I changed the old injectors and put in a set of known good injectors that were calibrated to pop at 140 Bar. I thought you could just swap out injectors and that would be that. I was wrong. That's when all the serious problems started. The car ran super rough, it would hardly idle or just sputter out and die, had absolutely no power and smoked horrifically (kind of looked like the car in the MB Autoworks ad at the top of the page but with no smoke from the tires ofcourse). So it was suggested to me that I check my IP timing and to advance it. So I rotated the IP toward the engine block about a 1/4" and the engine ran great. It has lots of power, it idles on its own when cold, idles smoothly otherwise, and the clattering noises are gone. It looks like that did the trick. So now I'm now wondering what was the root of the problem. Is the IP pump worn out, do I have a significant amount of chain stretch or is there something else going on? It doesn't look like the IP timing was ever adjusted as there is a (factory?) scribe mark on the side of the pump were it is attached to the block and it was still lined up before I rotated the pump.

84 300D Turbodiesel 190K with 4 speed manual sold in 03/2012

Last edited by lietuviai; 03-13-2004 at 02:05 PM.