View Single Post
Old 01-25-2001, 07:18 PM
thomasb

Hello folks:

I just joined the forum, having lurked for a couple weeks, and wanted to tell you about a recent acquisition.

A year ago, I picked up a nice 1976 280C for very little money to be my daily driver. It's orange, and the interior in cognac mb-tex, with only 2 small rips in the whole thing. Headliner perfect, carpet perfect. Very nice condition cosmetically, at least. So despite the awful fuel economy from the M110(10-11 mpg combined city/hwy), I really like this car and intend to gradually return it to its original condition.

There is a whole laundry list of niggling items that need to be fixed: vacuum system for door locks and seat backs; a/c worked at purchase, stopped the day after; replace front windshield seal and driver's side window rubber;turn signal lever won't stay up or down; fix engine temp gauge; refinish dash wood; rebuild/replace solex carb; possible top-end overhaul eventually. None of these items prevents me from using the car, but my enjoyment is impaired by them.

In any case, today I wanted to ask about a specific item: Has anyone ever successfully replaced the heater fan in the 114? The fan basically quit during a run across the Mojave desert last summer (I was running it at max to dissipate engine heat). I have heard that the R&R is about 16 hours altogether, due to having to remove most of the dash, which really makes this either a DIY or forget it. I have read in another forum about an alternative method that involves approaching the fan through the front fresh air intake(directly in front of the windshield), after having sawn through the metal under the intake. Has anybody on the list attempted this and if so what were your results? I don't mind putting the body under the knife, so to speak, as I don't think this model really has much classic value (yet) or potential to appreciate in value.