View Single Post
Old 01-30-2001, 12:13 PM
Grant Nelson

Thanks for your response Larry.

Found the relay box last night. The 50 amp fuse is OK. I found the section in the Haynes manual re. checking the plugs, but don't have an ohmmeter. I'll borrow or buy one today and try the checking process tonight.

I assume that the connector plug is numbered 1 through 5??

I tried checking for power at the relay. Didn't really know what I was doing, but here's what I did:
1. Put one lead from the test light on each side of the 50 amp fuse. The ignition was at the glow position. Test light did't come on.

2. Put one lead on the power connection to the relay and the other to ground -light still didn't come on. This makes me think that the relay isn't getting power, but at one point I'm sure I heard a "CLICK" coming from the relay (timer shutting down????)

Does this help in the diagnosis of my problem?

The former owner of this car had it for 10 years, and provided me many of the bills she had incurred. I note that: 1) a used glow plug relay was installed on May 12, 1999, and 2) a note on a May 25, 1999 bill "Glow plug draw is 110 amp Glow Plugs need replaced" There is no bill indicating plug replacement. The car started extremely well until a couple of days ago.

You can tell I'm no mechanic, and will have a pro fix this if required - but would sure like to solve it myself (and also save a bunch of $$).

Sure do appreciate the feedback!