View Single Post
Old 04-13-2004, 12:04 AM
gimme a low-tech 240D

Nothin like a car fire to wake you up, LOL..... this happened on my Moto Guzzi MC a few yrs back - leaky Del'orto carb was bleeding fuel that soaked the sponge rubber air filter and caught afire, how i dont know. Yep, I throttled the bike which made matters worse adding more fuel to the flames.... then pulled over and thrashed the fire with my gloved hands to put it out.

Tomguy, emergency help you got from the service shop should be S.O.P. for *any* vintage car. I myself will stop to help anybody with 20+ yr old vehicle, yet will drive right past somebody with something new. The logic being that anything built in the last 20 yrs includes components beyond my comprehension. I will bet those guys looked offended when you offered money as they expect nothing in return, yet will be talkin about the old MB that came smokin on fire into their shop for awhile. Hell, they probably enjoyed hearing your story. Meanwhile if you want to settle the score - show up at end of the day with 6 pack of beer, drink one with them and leave the rest. Its very rare that somebody helpin another person out expects cash in return.