Thread: part # help
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2004, 02:54 PM
smoke gets in your eyes

Part of your frustration comes from identifying your car as an 85 with no turbo. I guess you have to ask when you have someone's attention but you'll make things easier on yourself if you leave it for a separate call. The easy way is to ask for a transmission for an 85 300D. If they say they have one, ask if it'll fit an 84 or an 86 300D. If they say yes, hang up and call the next place. You want to find the yard that has an 85 transmission and knows it won't fit an 84 or 86.

I've been saying a lot that you need a transmission specifically for an 85. The reason I'm a lone voice is that the smart people probably know that it's not a sure thing that a non-US 85 300D has the same oddball interface as US 300Ds. So my conviction is really based on a hunch

BTW, if you need a core, I have a transmission out of an 81 SD that's just taking space in my garage. You're welcome to toss it back at the yard as a core. It might be a good thing to hang on to your 722.405 in case you decide to rebuild it later. BTW, while the transmission I have is off an 81 SD, it's marked as a 722.309 which means it's originally out of a 280E. It was converted to an inductive speedo drive tail housing I guess. The tranny is a couple of exits from SJC.

Sixto
95 S420
87 300SDL