View Single Post
Old 05-07-2004, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz Yoda
Several things ... you don't say that the air gets warm, just that it isn't as cold as it is when cruising. within reason, consider this ok. The a/c compressor spins pretty slow at idle on this car.

A 40 plus degree drop from ambient is good. With fine tuning you may be able to find another 10 degrees. (consider the expansion valve, a very important component)

R134 requires less to fill the system. I assume your tech knows this.

Does the condenser fan (in front of car) have good RPM?

My R12 85 300D has a 46 degree duct temp at cruise (95 + ambient temp) and it DOES go up some when sitting at a light idling.
Indeed, the temperature doesn't become warm, but goes up from about 53 degrees to about 60.1 degrees. The exact amount by which the temperature goes up depends on how long the car idles.

My condenser fan has excellent rpm actually, and mine has the 10 blade fan in it. I bought a brand new expansion valve and I intended to have that changed as well, but due to its location and the cost of the enormous labor hours required to get to it, I'll just have to pass on it for now and change it later. When I do so, I'll change the evaporator as well since they are located close to each other.

Since you get 46 degrees from your R12 system, then your system isn't that much colder than mine. I thought R12 was supposed to cool much more than R134a. Perhaps the age of your system has something to do with it.