View Single Post
Old 05-15-2004, 10:28 PM

Sure it can't hurt you for him to try.

Maybe you weren't listening. To hook the cigarette lighter to the battery you need to turn the ignition switch on. Once that happens everything that turns on with the key is now being powered through the lighter circuit. If you are smart and think of everything you could turn off you will still be left with atleast 10amps, not to mention any courtesy lamps running. That is before you start charging. If someone turned the blower on you would just pop the fuse probably but I can tell you that you don't want to be playing musical volatge with the controllers hooked to an ignition that is on to hook up the lighter.

If you can't tell where to place a charger in the fuse box there is probably nowhere as bad an ignition switched circuit. You need to leave those controllers asleep while you deal with charging the battery.

You will probably be alright if you leave the ignition off. Anyway you can get to the battery with the key off will be OK. Places I know will work include the alternator output terminal and the starter lug the battery cable goes to. It seems to me there are powered accessory leads in the electrical center on the right side. I just don't remember whether there is a charging lug there. There might be.
Bosch Master, ASE Master, L1
33 years MB technician