View Single Post
Old 05-22-2004, 10:08 PM

Unhappy Should shop warranty tranny leak?

I brought my 260E into the shop the other day because it was leaking training fluid. I thought it was the pan gasket, but I serviced the transmission a week ago and installed a new filter, fluid and pan gasket.
I thought I fixed the problem, but it continued to leak. I had the transmission overhauled at an independent shop in Scottsdale, Arizona in Jan. 2003 - I since put 26,000 on the tranny since the rebuilt.
When I brought it in for the overhaul, we talked about an MB factory rebuild with a four-year, 50.000 mile warranty verses him doing the work himself. He claimed to have fewer problems with transmission they did in-house.
I decided to have him rebuild it and everything's worked fine except now I have this messy leak. I brought it back to the same shop a couple days ago to have them look at it. They told me the pan was warped and needed replacement. This sounded strange to me since I had serviced the tranny a week earlier and didn't notice any problems with the pan.
I was careful when I reinstalled it and torqued the bolts to factory specs.
I told them to go ahead and replace the pan and thought we had the leak fixed.
Today, I noticed a decent sized-puddle under the car just like before. It appears the fluid is coming from the dipstick tube seal or the tranmission cooler line fitting. I spent $160 the other day - should I expect a refund and warranty of the seal that is leaking?
Tom