View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 12:51 PM
smoke gets in your eyes

Yosemite in June

Someone asked me about Yosemite. Here's the info I got -

Depending what altitude they’re staying at will gauge the weather. If they’re in the valley then it will be warmer than if they were in Tuolumne Meadows which we’re talking 4000 feet difference! Since it’s has been cooler I would bring warm gear. I’ve seen snow (slept on it too… don’t recommend) on the ground in late July… I would bring shorts for the day and bundle up in the eve.

Rules of thumb after backpacking for 20 years there:

1. It will rain once, maybe more – prepare: windbreakers!

2. It is cold in the shade and hot in the sun

3. It gets cold at night

4. Rent the round bear containers… not exceptions! Unless you’re staying at the lodge…

5. Drink lots of water, and don’t exert yourself too much… meaning when the trail says tough.. it is!

6. You’ll eat a lot of food with high sodium and fat for some reason

Gear wise also depends on the exertion. Below is a link to the Yose home page that should provide better information. I can only speak to extreme backpacking ~10,000 feet. I’ve never camped.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/home.htm

Other than that, it’s one of the most beautiful place on the planet! The people are wonderful too! The valley is very congested, and the hot spot if you like that sort of thing.

I couldn't tell you anything more since all I know of Yosemite is what I've seen in postcards

Sixto
95 S420
87 300SDL