View Single Post
Old 02-16-2001, 10:51 PM
CheFrac is Back!

OK, I took my car to dealer today for a "visual inspection" and brake fluid change. The inspection usually costs 130 and the fluid change 44. But they only charged me 44 for the fluid change (I was suprised!)! So I didn't have to pay for the inspection. I got the inspection because my car's extended warranty is up in 200 miles. Anyway, I am jsut wondering if the dealer is trying to screw me on the head gasket. My car has 83K miles on it now. This is normal for a head gasket to go bad, isn't it??
BUT, when i came to pick up the car, they said, ok changed brake fluid and did visual inspection of everything, and noticed that you have an oil leak. I said, OIL LEAK? I have never seen any oil on the ground or even on the undercarriage belly cover (aside from the time I hit that bump and cracked the pan, ouch!)! How could there be an oil leak? I asked. He said that the Head Gasket was bad and was just beginning to leak oil. I then asked why I have never noticed any oil leaking. He said because "the leak just started so it hasn't yet gotten to the bottom of the engine." That's what made me think something fishy was going on. How slow can oil leak? I mean really? But is this possible? If so, they said it would cost a little over a grand to replace. What I'm asking is is it normal for a head gasket to go after 80K miles (last 15k miles 'driven hard'). If so, then I'd better not drive my car at all this weekend, get it fixed Monday, then file the claim. What do you all think?

And another thing, I had a can of MB brake fluid which I told them to use (I was going to attempt to change it myself, but too freaked to get air in the system). I thought that you needed a whole can of this stuff? It looks like they used between 3/4 and 2/3 of it, does that sound right?

[Edited by Hottee18m on 02-16-2001 at 11:00 PM]

Previous:
1993 300E 3.2L Sedan w/ close to about 300k miles
2003 E500 Brilliant Silver (Had 217k miles when totalled!)
1989 300E with 289,000 miles (had for <1 yr while in HI)
03 CLK 500 cabrio (Mom's)
2006 C230k (Dad's)
1999 S420 (Mom's/Dad's)
2000 C230k Sport sedans
2001 CLK320 Cabrio (Mom's)
1995 C280 My First Mercedes-Benz... (155k miles. EXCEPTIONAL AUTOMOBILE. Was Very hard to let go of!)