View Single Post
Old 06-10-2004, 10:01 PM

Saw the neurosurgeon today. While he didn't think my condition was as dire as the neurologist indicated, he said I need to do the surgery soon since my cord is 50% compressed and it puts me at risk for paralysis from a minor fall or accident. Since the spinal cord does not feel pain, and only my cord is compressed, not the nerve roots, this accounts for my lack of painful symptoms.
It is noticeable that while he gave me statistical information on the success rates of the operation, his statement of the danger of my condition untreated, was anecdotal. He told me of three patients with a similar condition (although unknown to them) who had minor accidents and suffered paralysis. Two recovered after the operation, the third had permanent paralysis. I think this proves that objective data on the risks is virtually unobtainable. But since I live a fairly active life, it seems that the risks are real.

I think the wise choice is to have the discectomy and fusion. This particular neurosurgeon uses allograft (bone from a donor, not the patients hip) and mechanically fastens the vertabrae together with a plate and four screws. This appeals to the mechanical side of me. I believe the result is a shorter recovery period since there is less concern about the vertabrae moving during the fusing process. The downside is that there are some risks associated with using someone else's bodily tissue.

I'll probably have it done within a few weeks. I'm on summer vacation so won't be able to use up any of my accumulated sick time. Perhaps I can get the surgeon to prescribe additional rest to complete the fusion process in October.
Again, thanks to everyone for your thoughts. Considering spinal surgery is not pleasant but I am beginning to gain a small level of comfort with the process.
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13