Thread: Oil Change Help
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2004, 10:49 AM

Oil Change Help

I have a 92 500E and I'm having trouble reinstalling the oil filter canister lid correctly. I've changed the oil on this car at least 4 times before and have never had this problem so I'm hoping for some advice.

At first I thought the inner edge of the lid was hanging up on the filter itself--sometimes the filter can get tipped inside the canister--but I think the inner edge of the lid is making it past the filter. In previous changes I've been able to hand tighten the lid almost all the way down, feel that the lid is sealed securely, and then just snug it up with the socket. Now I'm having to use the socket much sooner since the nut won't turn easily by hand, and it feels like the lid is still .25" or so from sealing.

Then I thought it was the filter (I was using a Fram) so I used another filter (Hengst) but still had the same problem. I installed and re-installed the filter and lid 3 or 4 times and wasted at least an hour on this before giving up.

Does this make sense? Can anyone offer advice? On top of everything else, I've got huge blisters on my thumb and index finger from the nut being so hot--so much for changing your oil when it's hot!

Kirk
1992 500E
63K miles
Pearl black/gray
Bone stock