View Single Post
Old 06-15-2004, 06:53 AM
Zen And The Art Of Diesel

Re: Hmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Cazzzidy
I really don't care about ride height. As a Mercedes owner, I can appreciate the classy look of a tall W123 sitting on 14" rims.

While our cars offer a very comfortable and liesurly ride, I think they are down-right-dangerous in emergency maneuvers. If I pull a hard turn at 25mph, the car feels like a 80' yacht breaching a huge wave. Really, really bad body roll, corner bounce, and understeer.

While the understeer is a fact of life, the body roll and bounce could be virtually eliminated with stiffer springs, stiffer shocks, new suspension bushings and larger sway bars. And as long as the control arm is not in a drastically different resting position, there will be no geometry and alignment problems.

I am going to do it. I don't know how yet, but I will.
True, it is that way, but it's more a function of weight and the design of the car.

If you eliminate the spring movement, something else will give, be it tires or whatever, there just too much car that's too tall physicaly(not ride height) to ever snap around like you want it to.
I'd love it if it would, but I don't see it happening. I believe also that I've read MB designed in that body roll for a reason, something about the w115 cornering *too* flat and oversteering badly. I don't recall.

One thing you could do, is find a TD rear sway bar(1mm larger), and correct from bar mounting brackets from a TD, they have fewer holes in them and are stiffer, acording to the FSM. Little bits someties help.

I do know what your talking about, but it's just the way things are in a car like this. I went through a c3 corvette awhile back, kyb's, poly bushings, oversize sway bars, the works. Handles great, except that 70 series tires now feel like there made of marshmellows. Have a go at it, but don't expect a porsche.