View Single Post
Old 06-27-2004, 09:38 PM

Peter,

Thanks for asking. I'm in process of fabricating a tool to remove the slip joint as it is no longer available from Mercedes. They did have a price for the tool at $195.00 though. I tied contacting http://www.samstagsales.com/mercedes.htm and they were very responsive to my inquiry. We passed a few emails back and forth and they did seem to have a solution but my fabrication was well under way by then. I should have the fabricated tool completed sometime this week and will post a picture for all of those interested in seeing the results.

You wrote earlier "The keyword here is KEYWAY. You do not locktite the sliding joint. I guess I left out the term "red" when I said not to use locktite on the bolt. There is a keyway in the joint makes the sliding part turn the splines. If you take the snap ring off the end, the sliding part will come out, but do it over a clean pan, because a bunch of little rollers will come out. If you think any got away, I believe there are 108 of them. I counted them once about a hundred years ago. Be sure to install a new boot and don't use a split boot, because they always leaked even when installed with the special crimping tool."

The sliding joint was not locktited, it was the other end of the slip joint that goes into the left side (drivers side) of the axle. I do have a new one piece boot to be installed at the proper time, although the original is still in good shape, I'll keep it as a spare.

Hoping you are having good memories,

280SE Guy