View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 12:00 PM

DDH, you are absolutely right. When I was a cop in Hampton, Virginia ten years ago, all but 18 states issued 2 tags per car, making it illegal to drive w/o two matching plates. This was helpful to law enforcement in catching car thieves and other law breakers because, if a car had no front tag, the officer had instant probable cause to stop the car and check license and registration. Two stops I remember vividly were a Mazda RX-7 owned by my patrol sergeant's daughter (oops), and a Vette owned by the coach of the highschool state championship football team ("do you know who I am?"). Neither owner wanted to ruin the streamlined looks of the car's front-end with a tag. Oh well.

This was all before the camera enforcement in the US.

However, Georgia only issues one tag per car, so I guess I can do what I want with the front.

Mattdave, I looked into shipping my 220D to the states in 1979. The requirements to "convert to US specs" were so complicated and ambiguous that I gave up and sold the car to my landlord. Then, there was the DOT threat of impoundment at the US port if I didn't do it right.

73 220D (never left Germany)
81 300D (totaled)
84 300D (Purchased '03, sold '17)
85 300SD (purchased 10/01/03)