View Single Post
Old 07-28-2004, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Botnst
Negative advert worked for Bush I vs Dukakis. It worked for the Dems in 2000. I'm thinking specifically of the NAACP advert in which James Byrd's daughter blamed Bush for her dad's horrible murder.

------------------

Had Kerry, early-on, been less disingenuous about his support of the Iraq War, he'd have been swamped by Dean. Recall that Lieberman and Edwards both stood by their votes and arguments in favor of war and they got tsunamied.

Dean's whole platform was to blame everything short of the Crucifixion on Bush (he'd have done that, too, had their been sympathy for Christianity in the Democratic Party!). Had Kerry not, "Me too'd" in a less crazed fashion than Dean, he'd have been back with the other also-rans.

Now, Kerry wraps himself in the flag ("Let me tell you about my medals") as though heroism is leadership.

For a counter-example of the value of being a hero, recall that Benedict Arnold was a gravely wounded hero to the colonials right up until he jumped in bed with the British. Or Gen Wilkenson, another war hero, tried to start a new nation with Aaron Buur (though Burr denied it), in the western territories.

What I'm saying his that heroism is laudable for its occasion, but it is basicly meaningless as a predictor of leadership competency.

B
Perhaps Kerry needs a codpiece encrusted flight suit.

Bush wraps himself in entire aircraft carriers. Kerry has to respond in kind.