View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 02:34 AM

Center Vent job Update

Well i started & so far it's been just fine. i'm using the pod popper and replacing just the diaphragm.

i got a couple comments and a question or 2.

first off the pod popper tool is extremely hard to pop the pod open. so i'm going to modify the tool to give more leverage to squeeze. i'll post fotos later. got easier the second or third time i opened it up. but i could not get enough leverage by hand that 1st time.

now while the diaphragms seem to work you need to cut away some of the bottom one so you can insert the replacement so far so good. but it took me 2 or 3 times of putting it together before i felt comfortable with the seal

now i'll ask the question. on the one double pod you see thru the glove box the very top nipple operates plain as day vaccum and it pulls the lever in. the lower nipple thou goes to the center of the pod and as yet i'm not quite clear as to what it's purpose is. pull a bit of vaccum and it won't move the pod by itself but it does seem to help the other diaphragm. just curious

the center pod was actually not hard at all to remove the 4 screws holding it's bracket but that rod is impossible to get out of the flap's holder and i guess it's a plastic clip. i worked at it for maybe an hour and there just does not seem a reasonable way to control the actuator rod let alone take it out of the clip. i even removed 2 slide clips that seem to hold the box together thinking it would give me the access to the flap but no dice. SO i had an idea i want to share and maybe get some feed back on.

i've got a 50,000 rpm die grinder that's very small. i'm thinking i can cut a flap in the side of the vent box to allow access to the end of the rod. this would allow you to push the rod out of the clip while supporting the flap itself. i'm thinking this would put the flap and the rod in less risk of something giving in and breaking.

what concerns me is the closure. now i figure duct tape might last a couple of years under the heat and cold before drying out the adhesive so i'm thinking about gluing a larger piece over the hole using high heat silicon. i figure that ought to last till i'm dead & gone and then it would be the next guy to own the car's problem to deal with.

now i figure there is some factory trick to handling this rod and flap issue but i don't know the trick so this is my solution. i surely would like some feedback on this or maybe a good alternative to cutting up the box.

in the morning i'm going to try grabbing on to the flap with a pair of forceps and pushing the rod over with a long screwdriver but if that fails then i'm left to the old die grinder and a hole.

looking for some advice!!!

1972 350sl Red/Blk 117k
1988 420sel charcoal/Blk 140k
1987 420sel gold/tan 128k
See My Cars at:http://mysite.verizon.net/res0aytj/index.html

Pound it to fit then Paint it to match!

There is only First Place and Varying degrees of last!

Old age and deceit will overcome Youth and Enthusiasm every time!

Putting the square peg in the round hole is not hard... IF you do it fast enough!

Old enough to know better but stupid enough to do it anyway!