View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004, 05:44 PM

Yeah I've used the PPG High Build Primer on the front bumper, and wetsanded it down to 400. I was told you can go to 600, and have the paint still get a good grip, but I was kind of worried because of the added adhesion needed with the urethane front bumper cover. I know they add adhesion promoter and flex agents to it, but should I go to 600, or just leave it at 400?

As far as I can tell MB used Glasurit sp? paint on the car, as that is what the color code specifies, but can this color be obtained via other manufacturers? Also, should I trust the paint code, or should I have them computer color match and custom mix. I don't have to worry about any paint blending (as far as spraying) because all the panels that are going to be refinished end in body lines (front bumper cover, hood, and the molding under the headlight).

Chances are I will probably remove the hood and bumper cover from the car, after showing them the complete car, and just bring them those panels. I don't want them painted on the car (overspray is all but inevitable), and there is no point in paying them to remove / reinstall them. I spent about two hours adjusting the hood to get the gaps right, so im going to take an awl and mark the bolt outlines with a score, so I'm 90% there when I get the parts back.

As far as cleaning oils etc... I'm using 91% Isopropyl Alcohol on clean cotton waffle cloths. Is this sufficient. This is what I have used while detailing, and havent had a problem removing old products (which are probably worse petroleum based compounds than hand oils), but should I go to something stronger here?

I was actually contemplating spraying the finish coats here, and making an improvised spray booth in the garage with a couple fans, and a bunch of 7-9 mil plastic. I have a respirator setup, and have access to a suitable compressor, but I'm worried that there will be too many variables (temperature, humidity, as well as possibly contaminants in the air supply from the compressor - i know they use large filters on their compressed air, and a pressure regulator). So I've kind of shyed away from that idea.

Thanks for all the advice, and any additional pointers would be greatly appreciated.

If you are interested, all the pictures, from start, to teardown, and rebuild are here PICTURES

Thanks again and take care,

George

Former Mb's:

1990 500sl R129 - 76k Original Miles - New project - Follow the saga http://90r129.blogspot.com/
1990 190E 2.6 148k mi (sold)
1989 420 SEL 246k mi (sold)
1995 C220 175k mi (sold)
1992 190e 2.6 74k original miles (sold)
2000 c230 Kompressor 122k miles (RIP)
1996 C220 149k mi (sold)
2000 C230 Kompressor Sport 127k (sold)

Current Cars:

2009 Mercedes c300 4matic
2006 Mercedes s430
2005 Jaguar XJR
2003 Cadillac Escalade