Thread: Overheating
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2004, 07:33 PM
TEAM MULHOLLAND

Overheating

Hey guys!
Im having a power/heating/cooling issue. But before I describe the specific probelm in question, let me lay down the conditions of the car. The following is a complete list of what the car needs in terms of repair. Some I know are not related to the specific problem im questioning.

-Needs Engine Mounts
-Small Power steering fliud leak
-Coolant resivoir leaks: needs to be replaced due to cracking.
-Bad Thermostat
-Battery holds low charge (old old battery), needs to be replaced.

Car runs hot, typically running right above the 80 mark on the temp gauge, and rapidly rises once the car is shut off. (due to bad thermostat & coolant leak)
With that said I know why it overheats, and how to fix it; Replace thermostat, replace coolant resivoir, flush, and re-fill coolant.
But heres the main problem I am having:

Lastnight, the car was running hotter than usual, so I started running the heater to bring the temp down. I turned the temperature control up on the climate control, and it started blowing very toasty warm air immediately, without a problem. The temp gauge dropped, and that was that.
HOWEVER, I had to run some errands today. I stopped once for about a minute or so at a grocery store. Car started right up upon return.
Then I stopped by my friends house a couple of blocks away. When I returned to the car about 5 minutes later, it wouldnt start. So, knowing that the battery NEEDS to be replaced, since its holding a very low amt. of power, I got a jump start, and the car started right up. Then i got on the freeway and drove a good 3 miles, and the engine was running hot as usual, so I again, turned the temp dial on the climate control to the max heating position. But this time NO warm air would come out. The air that was blowing into the cabin was the same temp. as outside.

So here are the official questions I am asking:

-Why wouldnt any warm air come on when i turned the heat up, even though it worked fine lastnight? (everything related to the climate control system is new, except for the main thermostat and coolant resivoir as mentioned above)
-Could the fact that the battery is holding such a low charge and died today, make the heater not work since theres not enough power?

- Should the problem go away when I replace the thermostat, coolant resivoir, and battery?

Any help is VERY appreciated.
Thanks so much!

1995 E420
1992 BMW 525i
1984 300D Turbo sold
1993 Volvo 244 sold
1995 Volvo 944T R.I.P!

"The details are not details. They make the product."
-Charles Eames

www.cbs.nu