View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 01:31 AM
Provo Spain?

Help with bogus seatbelt ticket!!!

OK here is the story.

I drove out to the beach about 1.3 hours from my mother-n-law's home.

I got done on the beach, got in my car and began to drive home.

1) I always always always weat my seatbelt.

2) I drive slow these days. Nice and easy.

Going down the road and set my cruise to 40 mph. I set it right after I see the speed limit sign. I have been driving for maybe 3 minutes now. I am going down the street and a cop comes flying up behind me.

So I pull over and it's the usual ID/insurance checks.

Officer : I pulled you over because you were speeding.

Me: I'm sorry, I thought the speed limit was 40 mph.

Officer: No, back across the bridge (tiny bridge, takes two seconds to cross) on XX beach it was 35 mph. Here it is 40 mph.

Me: I had my cruise on 40 pmh.

Officer: I clocked you at 52 mph/17 mph over.

Me: I don't see how that is possible with my cruise on.

So he goes to his car and comes back.....

Officer: I am going to give you a warning for the speeding, but I am going to have to ticket you for not wearing your seatbelt.

Me: (confused) But I was wearing my seatbelt.

Officer: No you were not.

Me: Yes I was, in fact I still have it on now, I never took it off. (Still on me!)

Officer: Well, you can take the speeding ticket or the seatbelt ticket. The seatbelt is less money.

Me: What is the difference?

Officer: I will tell you once you sign this.

Me: What is the difference?

Officer: Sign it here, it is not an admission of guilt, and then I will tell you.

Me: (In shock, just starting to get angry) OK....(then I sign the damn thing)

Officer: Now your speeding ticket would have been 178 bucks, but the seatbelt ticket is only 70 bucks. I just saved you over 100 dollars.

Me: Fantastic.

Officer: Drive with your seatbelt on from now on.

So now I'm pissed beyond belief. I was not speeding, and wearing my seatbelt. If we go to court, the judge will take his word over mine. But this makes me so angry that this officer did this! I want to take it to court just so I can tell the story and say "Where is the integrity here!?"

So, what do you think about this? It is not in me to just pay up. I felt that if I refused to sign, he would have written me a ticket for both and possibly something else.

I know they have cameras on their dash, and when I pulled off the road I turned on my inside light, so he could see me clearly. I know if it was filming me it would show my seatbelt was on. But I don't know how/if I could get that into court.

What do you guys think?

Should I call his supervisor? That is probably a waste of time. But I feel I should be allowed to complain to somebody. Also if I complain before court, he'd be sure to be at that court date.

1990 190e 2.6 95k (Sold-Should not have)
1981 240d Stick ??? Miles...sold