View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 03:10 AM

HELP! '98 E320 - engine dies, won't restart for 20+ min.

Hi,
I'm having a strange problem with my 1998 E320. Here's the story... I went to start my car after stopping at a store and the starter would continuously crank until I turned the key back off. About half an hour later it started fine. I drove for roughly 20 minutes and the car stopped running while idling at a red light without any shaking or warning of any sort. Again, the car would not start again for 30 or so minutes. Then, I drove it again for about 10 minutes and it died again in the same fashion, while stopped at a red light. If I try to start the car too soon, it will continuously crank but not run. I took the car to a Mercedes mechanic and we drove it around for 30 minutes but it seemed fine. He was able to pull a check engine code. The ECU shows the Fuel Trim Malfuntion Bank 1 and Bank 2 error codes. The mechanic suggested it may be the mass airflow sensor but he wasn't 100% sure. I left the car with him so that he could drive some more. I'm guessing it wouldn't be the fuel pump or injectors since the car would then probably shake and stutter before dying? Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? Thanks.

EDIT: Would anything with the DAS cause it to stall and die, or would it only relate to the starting problem?

Last edited by rogeroger; 08-26-2004 at 03:58 AM.