View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 02:59 PM

I can take this in a bit of a different direction. Yes, I've my share of tickets over the years. And I've deserved most of them, but one in particular I really didn't think was reasonable.

At the time, I was a technical engineer for a company that developed hardware and software for large financial and marketing firms. My job required very frequent travel. I had just finished up working on a site in Casper, WY and was driving back to Denver to catch my flight back home.

It was an easy early morning drive and I had plenty of time to make the flight. Somewhere near the WY/CO boarder, a WY trooper headed north drove through the median and whipped back to head south, my direction of travel. Lights and sirens...the whole shot. Well sure enough, once he caught up with me, he didn't pass...but rather pulled in behind. So I pull over and go through the motions. Took my license and rental agreement and came back a short time later. Just as he was handing me everything back, he asked where I was headed. I told him Denver to catch a flight home. He asked where's home (strange, since he already had my DL) I said near Chicago, IL and he said Oh, you STILL live in Illinois...in that case, I'll need to go back for a moment.

Anyway, he took the paperwork back and returned with what looked like more papers than he originally had. he proceeded to tell me how I was clocked at 81mph in a 75mph and that type of driving could not be tolerated.

???WTF??? I was being written for 81 in a 75 !!! He pointed out the section of the ticket indicating the date and location of the court if I wished to protest the charge. I was my right to appear, blah blah.

What he didn't realize is that I flew enough to almost never be stuck in coach (always used the same airline) and racked up several hundred thousand frequent flier miles. It would have cost next to nothing to go back. But I didn't...just paid the ticket. The only moving violation on my record in 15 years.

Can't help to think if I was a local, the ticket would not have been issued...

Current:
11 MB S550 4Matic, 55k miles, Designo Black/Black
14 Ford F150 XLT Lariat Crew, 73k miles, 5.0
Coyote V8 4x4. Black/tan.
09 GMC Envoy Denali, 5.3 V8, 4x4 SWB. 38k miles,
Jewel Red/Med Gray.

Gone:
87 MB 300SDL, 320k miles, Astral Silver/Blue.
98 VW Jetta TDI, 488k miles, Classic Green/Gray.
85 Olds 98 Brougham FWD, 4.3 DIESEL V6, 80k
miles, 3x Gray.

MBCA Member, Chicago Region