View Single Post
Old 08-30-2004, 02:12 PM
jld

Question A few questions from a new 300d owner

Hi all, I have a few more questions for you if you don't mind. I've got my 83 300d on the road now and love it. This thing goes down the road so solid, it truely is a great ride (my other car is a 98 explorer and the 300d rides much nicer) I do have a few concerns though that I thought you all could help me with.....First at what temp should this thing run at normally? I ran into some major traffic the other day and sat on the highway for an hour and a half to go 7 miles (with the AC on). Then the car sat running for 10 minutes while I made the delivery I was making. When I got back to the car I noticed a little antifreeze on the ground. Not a lot but maybe a cup or two. It looked to be blowing out the overflow hose. The temp was up over 100 degrees C on the gauge. Once I got moving it went back down to around 90 degrees C. Is this normal? A friend who has an older MB told me he doesn't use the air conditioner when he is in traffic for this reason. Should I be allarmed about this or just watch it? Once I got moving I put another 200 miles on the car this weekend with the temp gauge staying between 80 and 100 degrees (pretty much in the middle).

Also what is the meaning of the oil gauge. It is always on 3 when I am moving and drops down a little when I am idleing. Again is this normal? I did not receive a manual with this car so i am not sure what normal would be.

Third stupid question (because I don't have a manual and never owned an MB before). what are the meaning of the 5 buttons for the heater/AC unit? I'm not familliar with some of the pictures on the buttons. I wanted to turn off the AC while it was overheating and couldn't figure it out. I finally pushed the last one to the right and it stopped blowing so I am assuming this is off BUT????

Sorry if these are very basic/stupid questions and thanks in advance for your help.....John