View Single Post
Old 03-09-2001, 06:36 PM
Veteran

A 500E will NOT beat a ZR-1!

Gary,

Stop laughing...you KNOW you drive the King and your E55 is merely an adequate 4-person conveyance when the ZR-1 can't fill the bill! For the record, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY that a 500E, in fairly stock configuration, can even hope to touch a ZR1, be it in the twisties or in a straight line. Heck, a RennTech 6.5 Liter would be hard-pressed to keep up. It is the King Of The Hill unquestionably, and having done a few holeshots in a beautiful blue one I have no doubt of its dominance.

As to Corvettes in general, I've only run one myself and it was a standard 2000ish C5 hatchback. We went at it on the highway, and between 55 and 120 MPH the cars seemed very, very well matched. That's the extent of my experience.

My only good stories typically involve Mustangs, but once you've had one trigger-burger...but given that many Mustangs are piloted by inexperienced knuckleheads I no longer EVER run them, as a rule (no offense to anyone here, and be advised I had a 1st year Mustang GT myownself).

The most fun I've ever had was totally embarrassing a Ferrari 328 GTS Quattrovalvole...I was on a curved onramp, a long one, but was held to around 45 MPH by a car in front of me (with the Ferrari immediately behind). As soon as the onramp dumped onto the highway, I laid back and the Ferrari swung out 3 lanes to the left, hammer down. Well, that left me a lane on his inside that was wide open, so I let him sorta pull equal to me, then I released the hounds. And being a cool day, the hounds were angry. I hit second and merely walked away. Or rather, ran away.

We both got off the next exit, me going right and he left. When he finally caught up at the stoplight, I lingered long enough to get a good look at the guy, and he at me. He just sat there with a seriously perplexed look on his face. I just smiled, and watched him very slowly pull away. Apparently he didn't want to anger the mean red german car and get beaten up again.

Sure it's no King Of The Hill, but it suits me fine

Michael
2014 E63S Estate
2006 SLK55
1995 E500
1986 Porsche 944 turbo