View Single Post
Old 09-10-2004, 02:33 AM
wielder of thor's hammer

detailed tranny problem 87 300e

The troubled transmission in my 300e is the last thing that has to be fixed and then my car will be 100%, and then it's just maintenance, hopefully.

Well, I guess I'll get into it. when cold (upon start up) it flares bad from 2nd to 3rd (I know it starts in 2nd), and shifts hard from 3rd to 4th. When warm, it shifts pretty well from 2nd to 3rd, but still quite hard from 3rd to 4th (this is especially bad when it downshifts to 3rd, then back up again, say when merging from an on-ramp). I strategically adjusted the bowden cable and vacuum modulator t today, making small adjustments to each, and then driving a bit to see if there was an improvement. It got a little better, but not much being that to drastic an adjustment caused other adverse effects upon shifting. Actually the shifting qualities were a bit erratic, with some good shifts and some bad as I was driving after each adjustment.

Anyway, the vac modulator line seems ok as far as I can tell. Am I right in thinking that the other end has a rubber u-shaped boot on it and is connected to a metal nozzle in front of the oil filter? no need to respond to this unless I am wrong. Also, I recently changed ALL the fluid and filter, with no real improvement.

There is an odd noise when the tranny is about to shift, or sometimes right after it shifts. My Dad described it as and thinks it is a spring stretching and compressing again.

I smell burning tranny fluid at times, not overwhelming, but it is there. Whenever I look under the car, there is a drop of tranny fluid sitting upside down on the two rear bolts (13mm) that hold the transmission pan on. However, they are torqued to spec, and as far as I can tell the gasket is all lined up as it should be. Besides, my fluid level has remained steady, so there can't be a significant leak. I was wondering if maybe there was somewhere above these two bolts that could be leaking the fluid and causing erratic shifts?

I realize something like this may be hard to diagnose just from my descriptions, and my next step is probably to an MB mechanic. I just figured I would give it a shot on the forum since I have been able to avoid mechanics a number of times already thanks to you all.

As always, any and all replies are greatly appreciated.