View Single Post
Old 09-10-2004, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
God I forgot about the race-related horrors of the deep south back then. I spent a good deal of time in southern Arkansas as a child, so I saw some of it with my own eyes. It's funny but children have a way of accepting just about everything that's thrown at them -- pieces of an incomplete puzzle I suppose. It wasn't until I became a bit older that I realized how bizarre some of that stuff really was.
My uncle was stationed at Norfolk Shipyard in the 60s and we made a lot of trips down there from New Hampshire when I was a kid. It was like going to another world. Segregation was the ugliest thing that ever existend in this country. It is amazing they got awy with it as long as they did. I had a friend there whose parents owned two convenience stores on opposite sides of a highway. His mom called him and asked him to send her over a roll of quarters. He gave it to a black girl to run it over across the highway. His mother was furious when the black girl brought her the quarters. I still will never forget that stupid, ignorant women screaming at her kid and the ugly racist crap that spewed from her mouth over 10 bucks worth of quarters and the fact he had entrusted it to someone who was black.