View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_walker
The 240 piece is 7 or 9lbs lighter I've read. I just cannot believe this has no ill effect on things.

Spinning down(and up) faster might be ok if a diesel could spin up as fast as a gasser, I imagine with the lighter flywheel it's a trick to shift and drive smoothly. It was not what I'd call dead easy with a true 300D flywheel'd 4spd car.
Well..., the flexplate (cast iron auto flywheel) from my 300D balanced out at zero, so I'm sure the engine is internally balanced (unless mine just happens to be the one that balanced that way from the factory), so logic would state that balancing a 240 flywheel the same as the flexplate from the orig car should be better than a flywheel from a real 300 manual that you just throw in.

Also, the flex plate from the 300D auto is lighter than ANY flywheel from a manual (240 or 300), so worrying about the 240 manual flywheel being 7lbs lighter than a 300D manual flywheel is kind of silly.

If you do by chance find one (300D factory manual flywheel), PLEASE do everyone here a favor and have the balance checked, weighed (overall) and photo it from various angles. That info would be worth at least a twelve-pack to me.

1983 300D - parts car

1979 300TD Auto - Parts car.

1985 300D Auto - Wrecked/Parts.

=========================

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there". Lewis Carrol