View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith
In the case I was responding to, I believe the boost pressure might have been limited to something like 8 psi, and then, when the right foot signal arrived to ask for more power by enriching the mixture directly, the boost did not go up and the mixture stayed too rich, or richer than desired by the engine controls' normal measure of goodness, resulting in increased temps and some smoke out the back.
Clearly, if you get significant fuel enrichment without the boost, the temperature is going to climb dramatically. However, I have run the SDL for several months without any boost (don't ask). It was when I first picked up the vehicle and it did seem very sluggish. In such a condition, we would expect clouds of black smoke because of an overfueled condition generated by my right foot. However, this was not the case. The IP would not provide any more fuel than the engine could otherwise use with the available air.

Your right foot does clearly control the rack and allow more fuel to be delivered to the injectors. However, I'm not sure that the amount of fuel delivered can result in an overfueled condition when considering the OM603.