View Single Post
Old 10-06-2004, 08:49 PM

I use 2 plastic 55gal. drums. I cut a 7" hole in the top of one and made a steel ring mounted on a flange. Bolt the ring on the hole and drop in a 16" long 25 mic. bag filter (about $3. each). The 7" ring on the filter rests on the top of the flange and keeps it from falling into the drum. Pour in 5 gals. of wvo. When the filter is new it just goes right in. As the filter plugs it will take longer and longer.

Make the same type arrangement in the other barrel. Install a 16" bag filter of 5 or 10 mic. filtration. With a drum pump, hand or electric, pump the 25 mic. filtered wvo into the other drum through the 10 mic. filter. If the drum pump gets hard to turn after 10 gals. or so you need to clean the strainer. It is located under the pump where it attaches to the suction pipe. It is amazing how much crud collects here even though the wvo has been through a 25 mic filter. If the connection to the suction pipe is square and is held together by 4 bolts then there is probably a strainer between the flanges. If it is just a screw connection then there probably isn't a strainer.

When the 25 mic. filter starts holding liquid wvo then it is time to clean it. I pull it out, turn it in side out (this is the messy part), scrape the solid fat off into the trash (hide it from the animals-they love the fat), rinse it is gasoline or some such thinner, and put it back in the tank. I don't think that one needs to wash it in soap and water. At $3 a filter you might want to just throw away the filter.

Set this system up where you can either clean the area or where it doesn't matter about the mess, because there will be a mess. Don't store the fuel outside. The sun will cause fungus to grow in it.

For the relatively small amount of fuel that you will use I would not recommend using a pressure system. These systems get complicated and costly. I live in S. Texas so I don't worry about the wvo gelling. In colder climates, from what I've read, there there is a very involved process using caustic, etc. I don't know how costly Diesel will have to become before I would consider this process. Fortunately here the process is dead simple.

I use wvo in my generator, tractor, my son's Diesel 115/300D and my Diesel pu truck. So far I have had no problems.