View Single Post
Old 10-11-2004, 10:08 AM

Thumbs down Bad idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Burton
A viable option, and one that I will do on my MB when I go through the brakes and replace some other components is silicone brake fluid. Silicone brake fluid is non-hydroscopic, so it doesn't need to be replaced. It also has a higher boiling point and as you might expect is more expensive.
Danger!!!
Never use silicone = DOT5 fluid in any ABS system that does not call for it…

Silicone brake fluid can be bad in any system not made for it.

A friend changed his MGA to silicone, went to Europe for five years, returned home, dropped fuel and a new battery in the car, and drove off to visit a friend.
The seventh time on the brakes there was a hard kick from the brake pedal, then no brakes at 70 MPH in expressway traffic, coming up on a construction zone.
He hit the ditch and wrecked the car in trees.
The insurance investigator proved that while the silicone did not absorb any moisture, the system still accumulates moisture, under the wrong conditions = long storage no driving.
The system gets hot; moisture flashes to steam and explodes the weakest point in the system.
In his case the flex hoses burst.

This is a safety system.
You do not want to explain to a judge why you changed the specification of fluid for a safety system.

Prototype R&D/testing:
Thermal & Aerodynamic System Engineering (TASE) Senior vehicle instrumentation technician.
Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH).
Dynamometer.
Heat exchanger durability.
HV-A/C Climate Control.
Vehicle build.
Fleet Durability
Technical Quality Auditor.
Automotive Technical Writer

1985 300SD
1983 300D
1984 190D
2003 Volvo V70
2002 Honda Civic

https://www.boldegoist.com/

Last edited by whunter; 10-11-2004 at 10:13 AM.