View Single Post
Old 10-13-2004, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psfred
Bad injectors will certainly cause a rough idle, BTDT long ago on my Audi Fox. One that dribbles at idle will make it shake something terrible, and ajdusting the idle mix won't help.

However, if it runs smoothly cold, you probably have an overly lean mixture warm if the injectors are good, this will cause rough running.

You should get a Mitivac hand pump to check the vac system, it has a guage so you can test for integrity. Sucking a vac by mouth will only detect major leaks in my experience, and you really don't want all the residual stuff in there in your mouth anyway! There are several restrictors in the system, so you will have dampers closing with only a minor drop if vac. Worst part I found on the TE after replacing all the servos and getting exactly what you have was leaking right angle fittings on the switchover valve. Minor leaks here allowed the dampers to partially close while accelerating.

You should have a reservior in the system to "float" it over the low vac caused by acceleration. However, if the mxture is off, you will be low on vac anyway, and will no have enough.

Peter
Thanks. I am more mistaken about that cold idle being good. That only happens once in a while. I actually noticed that it is still the same this morning. Also notice it is a hair smoother when I get a full tank of gas. But not much. I am thinking I have a leaking or few leaking injectors. This car was poorly maintaned before I got it. Also notice on the highway at 75-80 under load, going up slight hill, that she seems to just not want to move to much. Even at 70 it needs to downshift to 3rd to accelerate. On flats she is fine and peppy. So I am thinking that it is starving for fuel due to bad injectors. **** they are only $100 for all four, I guess I will just break down and get them. The loss of vacuum problem does not happen all the time and is sometimes hard to reproduce. All vacuum elbows were checked and the few that were bad were replaced. I am thinking though that my vacuum change-over for the HVAC system is going bad as it no longer sends vacuum to the heater valve to close it when it should. Maybe that is the issue. There is another damn $100.... Oh well, that does not need to be fixed til next year when it is warm again I guess. Thanks for the help and if you have any more ideas based on what I said please let me know.

1986 190E 2.3 Black, Auto, Mods to come soon.....