View Single Post
Old 10-21-2004, 04:53 PM

Electric vs. Mechanical

In the early 90s Ford started, and in some cases still is, using rear wheel drive cars with electric fans for example the Crown Vic and the Thunderbird (old version). These were big V8s running pretty hot if you asked me. When I lifted the hood on my mom's (then) brand new thunderbird, I saw what the guys at ford had done. IMHO it really is a waste of time to fiddle with electric fans.
Now back to the wonderful world of MB cars. My 300Sd has an electric fan pusher. If MB engineers would have thought that electric was better than mechanical, why didn't they just add ANOTHER fan as a puller. Yet they didn't. Somewhere in their engineering bible, they must know something we dont (maybe that's why they get paid the big bicks!!)

OhioSDL, you own an SDL, I dont have to tell you how careful you have to be with those aluminum heads. Imagine what would happen if all of a sudden your wonderful, low energy fan decided to die, and the temp started to climb. I would be really worried if I were you!

I cant say for sure becasue i have not really paid attention to your application, but my fan has 2 redundant belts. So if one goes, I can still make it home and replace it if it came to that. But more than that, one can tell when the belts are worn and need replacing, and you replace them, you can't say the same for electric motors. Clutches, for the most part will last you a good 100,000 miles, and when they begin to go, you can tell by the temp being a slight higher than normal! You dont have that option with an electric.

Then again what do I know!

1985 300SD (W126) 300K miles