View Single Post
Old 10-21-2004, 07:24 PM

Tommy
There are a few things it could be. I agree it's doubtful it's the tank, I don't know if I've EVER replaced a tank on a 210. Once I replaced one on a 202 because a cell phone installer drilled a hole throught the floor pan and into the tank. (I assume this isn't the case here ).
The few thinks you mainly see: The #1 culprit is called the "charcoal canister shut-off valve". It's located attached to the top of the charcoal canister, which is behind the rear of the wheel well trim in the right rear wheel well. To test this requires a good vacuum pump and a tester which can read the fuel tank pressure/vacuum (such as the MB SDS tester), and also get into system activations. What you do is attach the vac pump to the purge line under the hood, activate the shut off valve, and draw vacuum, while monitoring vacuum readout. You should be able to pull about 25 mbar of vac, then plug off the vacuum, and should hold above 20mbar after 1 minute. If it won't pull ANY vacuum, that's when you use a big crimping pliers or two and start pinching off evap hoses to determine the leak. What you'd want to pinch off first is this charcoal canister shut-off valve itself (the one you "closed" electrically with the "activation" feature), and see if it'll then hold vacuum, usualy that's it. I'd say if you want to "throw a part" at the problem, with about 75% probability the shut-off valve is the problem. OTHERWISE the charcoal canister itself can cause this problem. There are a few other possibilities. I wonder if a proper test has ever been done?
Gilly